Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Book 'em

Today started off pretty slow. I slept about 7 hours which is unusually long for me. I'm a 5-hour a night kinda guy, but of course, I've been sick lately. But even when I "woke" up, I was still almost in a sleepen stupor. Hate that cloudy feeling.... hmm, it's probably why I've never smoked anything or ever done a drug. Yep... me no likey.

Once I finally got going though... I was on a roll. And today's roll (or maybe role) was all about booking. Booking bands is oddly enough, something I enjoy that I really didn't know that I would. I've done it for my band for 8 years now, but has been primarily out of necessity.

There's something about matching up bands to clubs, helping PEOPLE find work, helping PLACES make their venues more lively. Love it. Never thought in a million years when I made my first little press kit for Living Proof in 2003, that I'd be doing similar tasks for other bands. Never thought in a million years I'd be making a living doing this.

Is it getting to know new people? Is it sitting down across the table from a bar owner with a problem or a need to fill? Is it the puzzle factor? Maybe it's all of that combined with the fact that I get paid a little sumpn sumpn. Yeh... I'm on to it.

It's being lucky enough to find an aspect of something I enjoy and also having that same task be something that generates income. Recently... the income hasn't necessarily been what it needs to be to cover all bases, but it's always evened itself out. At least until this point. And right now, that's all I can ask for.

I am indeed lucky. I have a lovely wife, an awesome son, and work with a bunch of caring musicians (not all of them, but a bunch). I do use the term "work" very loosely. I've worked for 20+ years and it's never really been this fun.

Man. I gotta write something soon. Here's to a good night's sleep, whether it be 5 or 7 hours.

--Hope you find the music in your busy-ness.




No comments:

Post a Comment